Old May 14th 07, 07:09 PM posted to alt.child-support
dmr

Default Shared Custody?

On May 14, 12:08 pm, magnumpi83 wrote:
On May 14, 11:32 am, "DB" wrote:

"dmr" wrote in

The man managed to get the shared custody, and so reduce considerably
the amount of child support he was going to pay to the mother.

Find the error!
I see an error when a father to save money, deprive his own children
to see their mother.

So is it the money or time you are concerned about?

IS really the money that bothers you!

You see the problem with the father to save money deprives his own
children to see their mother? Well what about the father? Is it all
right with the mother depriving THEIR children from seeing their
father? How do you know the father is saving money? Maybe he's
spending it directly on the children instead of giving it to the mom
to spend on the children. I think if you take out the outside factors
(meaning the ex's boyfriends and/or girlfriends and money), isn't it
the best for the children to see their father and mother equally?
What they do here in the states is they take the total income by both
parents and determine what percent each parent contributes. Then they
take the percentage overnights the children stay at each parents home.From their they determine how much support is awarded based on the

standard of living the children are used to before the divorce. So
obviously if he makes more money that the mom he will pay her some
support but not as much because he is now spending it on the children
instead. I think the philosophy were the children should live with the
mom full time and let the dad pay her support is outdated and
sometimes it turns out the dad is a better parent than the mom. I
think the best for the children is a 50/50 split especially if there's
not a lot of distance between them.

I did now start this post with the purpose to criticize fathers who
obtain shared custody of the children. I am a father myself!
I also know that shared custody doesn't mean we have to be always next
to the children when we have them.
If you read my post again, you will understand that in this particular
case, a woman suggest to the guy to request shared custody in order to
save money.
Now, as fathers we have been victims of the stereotype that assume
that mothers can take care better of the children. How many times
Judges have given full custody to the mother based on prejudices!
We won't be helping our cause though, if the primary goal for
requesting shared custody is to reduce child support payments. The
primary goal should be our will to fully participate in our children
care and education.