Old February 17th 04, 03:28 PM
Mary W.

Default intro (long)

Dagny wrote:

"alissa" wrote in message

The only thing I can think I should of done was not to let her have both
sides and to feed her more often 1 at a time to increase my supply. I am
keen to breast feed.
Alissa
DD 21mths
DS due June 04

I don't know first hand but isn't it the proper advice to feed at both sides
in a feeding to increase supply and to only feed one side to decrease
supply?

Typically. And feeding on one side is often the advice for women with
overactive let down. But at the point when her baby wasn't gaining weight,
the OP seemed to think her supply was good. Feeding on one side
would have gotten the baby more hind milk, which is fattier and may have
helped with the weight gain.

To Alissa, you did a great job hanging on and getting breastfeeding
started. It should be easier next time (or so I keep telling myself!).
For your daughter, when you needed to supplement, perhaps
you could have used a sippy cup or even an open cup and thus
avoided the bottle preference and kept nursing (something to
keep in mind, although many babies switch between breast and
bottle with no trouble). You may want to go to a couple LLL
meetings and make some contacts so you have breastfeeding support
to turn to if you have trouble. You may also want to find a
certified lactation consultant who could help you if you ran
into trouble (mine was invaluable).

And if you run into trouble, post here. This group is a wealth of
information.

Best of luck!

Mary