Old September 9th 06, 05:18 AM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Caitriona Mac Fhiodhbhuidhe

Default Seeking straight A's, parents push for pills

nimue wrote:
toto wrote:

snipped
This is something I agree with. It seems to me that students who
focus on the grades are not focused on learning, but on pleasing the
teacher or doing the minimum to get the grade s/he wants.

Are you a teacher or are you just repeating a myth you have heard? I am a
teacher and I can tell you that kids who get As usually do so because they
love learning. How many times have you heard a kid say, "I failed that
class because it was boring?" What about "I passed that class because it was
fun?" Kids who enjoy learning do well in class. Pretty simple.

Hmmm... sometimes. I slept through my high school classes and earned
A's and B's. My younger sister worked her tail off for B's and C's.

I was able to sleep through my classes and earn good grades because I
loved learning enough that I was learning *outside* of class. I keep
telling my grandmother that she homeschooled me and didn't even know
it. I didn't need to focus in most of my classes because I'd already
learned so much of the material at home.

(FWIW, I too am a teacher. I've taught in public and private schools.
I now home educate my children, the youngest of whom will be graduating
in 2 years.)

Kitten