Old January 2nd 09, 03:00 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Default Another C-section question...

First off, I do NOT agree with the elective C-sections at all...
But, with that said...

That's a bit silly, there are very valid medical reasons for a minority
of women to have a c-section, such as placenta previa, prior pelvic
surgery, certain heart conditions etc. Obviously the vast majority of
people thing that a prior c-section is also a good medical reason for a
c-section (I'd tend to disagree, vbac overall looks better when you look
at ALL outcomes - though there are still lots of subcategories where the
odds swing the other way).

You probably fall into the category of vbac being better for both you
and baby (and probably even in situations such as going overdue you
might both be better to watch and wait, you'd just struggle to get an OB
to do that), after all, you've made the decision that way 3 times before.

Have you really got all the information on having your tubes tied, like
do you know if it's something your OB would do shortly after delivery,
even if it was a normal delivery? Some will do that, even push that option.

On the total opposite side have you got info on other long term methods
of contraception, coil, hormonal coil, implant and injection I think
covers it - you can get them 6 weeks after delivery and then you're
covered, though the injection I think is 3 monthly, the others are
really long term, 5 years I think. Then you'd be covered, whatever
happens until you can schedule a tubal when you have time for it.
Probably, you won't find the recovery that bad and the more time that
passes the more ways there seem to be of doing it and they get even less
invasive.

Cheers
Anne

With my first, I had an emergency section. It was for a footling breech at,
really, the last possible second. Everything was going fine until that
moment, and then I was rushed to the OR and put out for an emergency
c-section. I didn't have any choice in it at all (obviously) and as it
turned out, it was a HORRIBLE experience for me all around.

I then had 3 successful vbacs with no issues, although I was monitored for
any possible issues of a repeat breech and all that.

So now... This is the last one for me no matter what. This one was actually
a big "uh-oh... SURPRISE!" pregnancy. I have full intentions to get myself
tied up as soon as possible, and my OB told me she can tie my tubes at the
same time if I need a c-section. I understand that with a c-section and
tubal, it's all in the same area and can be done at the same time, once
she's in there anyways. In the past, I have already made it clear to my OB
that I will not agree to an elective c-section unless it's an extreme case
(like it's a known fact that I'll end up in the OR with another section) but
otherwise, I will go in on my own - and even did the castor oil trick that
worked with DD1 when my c-section date was set for that next Monday but
went in with the help of the lovely castor oil, I'm sure, the Thursday
before lol

I'm now sitting here and seriously debating my options. I can either hope
for vbac #4 in a row or I could go in for a c-section after 1 c-section and
3 vbacs. The things I can't quite make up my mind are... well, first, I
just can't fully 'agree' with the elective surgery thing... I also know that
recovery time is far longer with a c-section, plus I'm not 16 anymore.
Right now, I also still have DS that is up bright and early for school every
day, 2 preschoolers and will soon have a newborn to deal with while I
recover... Oh, and I'm basically on my own now that N is not going to be
around here and I will not have him around here (even if it *seems* to make
life easier for me in the short run because I'm not stupid and know it will
not make my life easier in the long run)
With a c-section, it's not a case of in and out within like 24 hours or less
in the hospital as it is with a regular birth. I still have 3 others to
deal with every single day and can't do that laying in a hospital room.
But... I am set on getting my tubes tied, and I'm wondering if it makes a
difference to have it done as soon as possible or wait however long to get
it done after - which would then mean a surgery at a later date and recovery
time as well... Plus finding a sitter again or someone that can stay with
the kids, and leaving a newborn or very small baby with someone for more
than a couple hours... Plus, the driving thing - I know you're legally
impaired after a general and surgery for something like 24 hours (or is it
48 hours??) Anyways, I'm just stuck on this one...
As it is, I will NOT have N in the room with me at the hospital. I doubt
I'll even care enough to call him at all, but no matter what, I do not care
to have him around me after what he's pulled and continues to pull. I
really now don't have much for a coach or partner for delivery... I want and
need my mom to take the kids as she's my only real option for that, and I
suppose in a pinch I could call a friend, but not sure if I really want to
or how comfortable with that I am... I'm just feeling like I'm in such a
mess right now and not sure what I should be doing...