Old October 25th 03, 05:28 PM
ColoradoSkiBum

Default Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

: I read a child is limited to 10 absences excused by the parent per
: year--guess this is where the 5/semester comes from. I can't get a
doctor's
: excuse for the flu dd had 2 weeks ago--we didn't go to the doctor. I did
: call and talk with a nurse at the hospital, but I couldn't say her name.
In
: any case, dd will miss again around Thanksgiving due to something
important
: to us. That will put me over the five, even if dd stays healthy until
then.
: If they're not REALLY going to fine me (b/c we do care about her
education,)
: then who do I talk with beforehand so I don't have to have fines hanging
: over my head?

If that's district policy, then you will probably have to talk to someone at
the district level. That's a pretty strict policy, but definitely open to
interpretation by the individual schools, also. The previous district that
I taught in had such a policy, but it was never enforced at the school I
taught at. But it does sound like your daughter's school is pretty serious
about enforcing the policy.

Perhaps you could start by talking to an administrator at her school--as
someone else suggested, that letter may have been generated automatically.
--
ColoradoSkiBum