Old August 4th 03, 01:31 AM
Charlotte M.

Default COMPLETLY at the end of my rope!!!!!!!!!!!!

"denise" wrote in message

Hi Denise,

I'm going to ask you a whole bunch of questions that I'm sure you've been
asked at least six times already, but your info will be helpful.

Also, I'm going to ask the UNthinkable: Can you post your answers without
trimming?

Gave birth by csection (after a 20 hour labor - ugh!!) 19 days ago.

What type of drugs did you use through your labour? How far into your labour
were they administered? (As in hours into your labour AND how dilated you
were if you know.)

What type of drugs did you use for the epidural and when were they
administered?

At
first, DD was a great nurser but by day three when my milk wasn't
coming in, we had to go to finger feeding

What did you finger feed her and did you ever give her a bottle? If you did
give her a bottle, which brand nipple was it?

as she was losing too much
weight.

How much weight did she lose? Specifically, how much was she at birth and
how far did she drop by day 3? (I need to determine what percentage of her
weight she lost.)

Also, what was your due date compared to when you gave birth? Was she a
full-term baby?

How many times did you put her to the breast in a day?

Took me almost 8 days for my milk to come in.

That's still within normal parameters. :-)

After that, we could never get her to latch on much again.

What did she do when you tried to latch her? Did she scream and arch her
back? Did she make snorfling noises and whip her head back and forth in
frustration? Did she just lay there and do nothing?

Not only
can we not get her to latch on, we can't get her to open her mouth to
feed.

Noted.

We practically have to cram a bottle or finger feeding into her
mouth.

When you say finger feeding, do you mean a finger or do you mean a Haberman
bottle? How does she respond before you cram? How does she respond to having
food crammed in?

I have been religiously pumping every three hours and could
fall asleep at the drop of a hat, I'm so exhausted.

I bet.

I'm so tired of pumping, I'm crying all the time trying to get her to
bf and nothing we do works. We've tried it all - nipple shields,
feeding her a bit at first to calm her down, finger feeding, massage,
letting her get really hungry, *6* lactations consultants, books,
magazines, internet sites for advice - you name it, we've tried it. I
don't want to give up but I'm at my wit's end. Has anyone been in
this place and what the hell do I do??? I can't pump like this
forever and my breasts are ready to fall off.

Holy crow you've tried a LOT. In fact, my spider sense is that you've been
given too many things to try and not enough consistency. Let's see if we can
get rid of a whole pile of the stuff and get the babe back on your breast so
you can ditch the pump.

Me, I've never seen a suicidal newborn who prefers self-imposed death by
starvation, so I hold out LOADS of hope. You've come a long way already.

--
Charlotte Millington
Director, Global Birth Institute