Old February 19th 04, 08:19 PM
New York Jen

Default Still pregnant or not? hcg level only decrease by 100? miscarry twin only?

"Mary W." wrote in message
SLC wrote:

Is it possible to miscarry a twin at 6 weeks and have another aged 5
weeks survive the whole process? Sometimes I naturally ovulate from
both sides in a cycle and intercourse did happen 8 days after the
first so it may be a possibility. Friday spotting began, Saturday an
exam showed HcG at 7600. I should have been at 6 weeks 5 days but the
ultrasound aged a sac 5 weeks 2 days high in the uterus and the cervix
was slightly open with membrane like tissue near it. The next day
Sunday I really think I miscarried and passed a quarter size piece of
tissue. Monday the ob/gyn saw me and did no examination of any kind.
He said he did think the tissue was a product of pregnancy but didn't
send it to lab. He only said to wait and that many women bleed and
cramp in early pregnancy. I am scheduled for an ultrasound in 11
days. Wednesday I begged for at least an HcG test. The results
showed that in the last 4 days past what I believe was a miscarry the
level went from 7600 to 7500. This doesn't sound right to me.
Shouldn't the level go down farther by now? Could there be a chance
the sac on the ultrasound is still there and another embryo not
visible on the ultrasound had passed? Wouldn't the HcG go up in that
4 days if there was still a pregnancy and if not why only go down 100?
If there is still a progressing pregnancy why did my symptoms like
breast soreness lessen?

When I had my miscarriage, my HcG continued to rise even though
the baby was measuring small and not developing (consecutive
ultrasounds showing no growth). My HcG did eventually start
to drop. My progesterone was very low at all times. We
waited a couple of weeks, I still had pregnancy symptoms but
serial ultrasounds showed no development. And then my HcG did
start dropping. We finally opted for a D and C, and the morning
of I started spotting. I suspect you'll have symptoms as long
as you have HcG in your system (I'm just guessing, but that's
what happened with me). I hope that things work out for you-
this can be so scary and frustrating.

Is your doctor still monitoring your HcG levels? And I would
probably ask for another ultrasound (perhaps about 1 week
after the first to see if there has been growth).

Hang in there,

Mary

Same thing happened to me. The tissue continued to grow inside me although
I was bleeding heavily and my hCG was rising but not at a normal level. My
doctor thought that the tissue would come out on its own, but I grew
impatient as I *felt* more and more pregnant and I was dying to have a baby,
and we knew that this was never going to be a baby. I also opted for the
D&C and the very next cycle became pregnant with my son.

That said, I also know someone who had IVF and one of the twins blighted
early on, so her hCG levels were similar to yours I think. I'd ask to be
monitored closely just so you know what's going on and don't go crazy.

Good luck!

- Jen