Old October 14th 05, 12:59 AM
Nick Theodorakis

Default Kids and Nutrition

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 06:02:13 EDT, Cindy Kandolf
wrote:

Didn't I just see you over there --- in RACS?

Louise writes:
I just found out that popcorn might count as a whole grain. This
seems too good to be true!

Funny you should mention that. The last jar of popcorn I bought has a
large graphic on the front of the label: "100% WHOLE GRAIN!"

I'm not sure why that's a surprise.

It was a teachable moment for the 11-year-old. "Sometimes what you
see on a label is absolutely true and at the same time absolutely
meaningless. This is one of those times."

Actually, air-popped popcorn can be a pretty healthy choice for a
snack, as long as you don't put anything on it that makes it taste
good ;-)

http://www.nutritionresource.com/data.cfm?n=19034
http://www.purityfoods.com/nutrition/popcorn.html

Maybe a better example would have been a label on some sugar-heavy
junk food that said "fat-free."

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis