Old December 13th 07, 09:05 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
mommycom

Default night weaning -- a big headache!!

On Dec 13, 9:37 am, wrote:
On Dec 13, 8:59 am, "Sue" wrote:

It seems to me that nursing every 2-3 hours is a bit much for an 11 month
old. How much solid meals is she eating during the day? If she is not eating
many solids during the day, I would up that amount and decrease nursing at
this point.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

wrote in message

Hello,

My daugther is 11 months old and i nurse her every 2-3 hours during
the day . Until 9 months she was able to sleep for atleast 3
consecutive hours in thenight, before waking up for feeds. But
surprisingly now, when she is growing bigger, she wakes up 1 to 2
hours in thenightfor me to nurse... And once i put her down after
nursing she keeps rolling left to right as though she is not able to
find a comfortable position to sleep. My sleep is completely disturbed
as i end up waking very often in thenight. I am not able to
understand the change in behaviour after 9 months.... she was fine
until then.... One thing i make very sure is that she isnt hungry
before she goes to bed... She has her solids, and then my milk....
Even when she wakes up in thenight, i feel that it is only for
comfort and not for milk.... I want to be able to sleep atleast 3-4
hours straight but the situation keeps worsening...

Can somebody throw light on what could be the problem? I live in
Phoenix, AZ and it doesnt even get that cold in thenightfor her to
feel that uncomfortable. Infact it sometimes gets warm in the room and
i get to turn the AC on....

Can you also provide tips on how to wean her during thenight?

Thanks!
Aruna.- Hide quoted text -

Oh really? I thought nursing every 3 hours was regular. Anyway She has
solids twice everyday. Apart from that she has snacks(finger foods ...
small cookies that Gerber has...) now and then.... She mainly nurses
for comfort and sucking needs,(Like when she wakes up after afternoon
nap, she wants to nurse even if she isnt hungry) and i supplement her
with formula as well once a day. Isnt feeding her with solids twice a
day not sufficient?

Let me know,

Thanks...

Hi! I have 3 daughters and my youngest is 10 months old. As far as
night weaning or any weaning is concerned, it depends on your
situation and how ready your baby is. If she's nursing for comfort,
you could try holding her, stroking her hair, patting her back, ..
that sort of thing for comfort instead of offering her milk. It's
worked off and on for me. I had my girls self-wean and for my older
2, timing varied, b/c they are different. Also, b/c of your
daughter's age, she may be going through a growth spurt or maybe her
molars are coming in. There could be many reasons for her needing
more comfort at this time. Anyway, I hope I helped a little.