Old August 7th 03, 03:33 PM
Welches

Default Baby Food Question

Ali's Daddie wrote in message
I am posting this to 3 different NG's, but not cross posting.

Alegra is not ready for solids yet. In fact, the pediatrician said that

she
will discuss with us the introduction of solids at our next visit

(september
30th). 4 month visit.

What I am wanting to know is how many of you make your own baby food?

What kind of processor (blender etc) do you use?

Kenwood hand held blender.
And lastly, where do you get the recipes?

We are very seriously considering making Ali's food ourselves so that we

can
buy only organic veggies and fruit etc..

This is what I did.
We collected old baby food jars, whenever she used one, and from friends.
Then we'd have an evening cooking and filling.
I'd get several vegetables (eg broccoli, carrots, parsnips, tomatoes) boil
them up (without salt) strain them (keeping some of the strained water),
then blend (in separate bowls) them to the level she could presently cope
with.
Usually 1 chicken breast, 1 piece of fish (almost always salmon) and cook
them (in oven) then blend them finely.
Grate some cheese.
Large amount of potatoes and sweet potatoes, mashed with (unsalted) butter
and possibly expressed milk (or the strained water).
Express some milk.
Then I'd spoon different recipes into a big mixing bowl. With one bit of
potato, 1-2 bits of veg, and 1 bit of meat/cheese. Mix them together, add
milk and some strained water to right consistancy and put into labelled
(date and ingredients) baby food jars. Freeze them.

This would make about a month's food.
We did try puddings, but she wasn't terribly keen. For lunch I usually gave
her a yoghurt, and dinner was usually banana.

We altered this depending on age. For example, at first we used plastic bags
to freeze in, and did very small portions of just single veg. Then we did
potato/sweet potato and cheese only, then we moved onto the above. As she
got older we added pieces of chopped carrot, or peas, or sweetcorn, or dwarf
beans to give lumps and we didn't blend it quite so finely.
This would be totally organic, except the expressed milk!
Debbie