Old July 6th 04, 08:14 PM
Claire Petersky

Default Kindercare

"Vijay" wrote in message ...

Does anyone have any experiences with Kindercare centers in Schaumburg
Illinois? My wife and I are currently expecting our first born and are
looking for day care options in this area. Any feedback would be useful and
appreciated.

Although Kindercares may vary tremendously and my kid was much older,
I had a very bad experience with our local Kindercare. I needed only
three weeks of part-time childcare one summer. My kid was enrolled in
a mornings-only gifted student summer program, and I guess they expect
that gifted kids don't have parents who are employed. I could get her
dropped off at the local Kindercare though, after the program was
over, and it was one of the few places that would take her just for a
few weeks and just in the afternoons.

The supervision for the elementary school aged kids was awful. My
child was bullied by older children and was miserable. The adult in
charge barely spoke English and basically did nothing to prevent it.
We finally made an arrangement where she instead volunteered in the
baby room in the afternoons rather than be with the kids her age,
since they were doing a mini-Lord of the Flies with the elementary
school kids.

Based on this experience, I would look very closely at the level of
supervision and care my infant would be receiving at Kindercare. A
much better situation, I think, would be at a home day care. My
younger daughter was in one of these for about a year or so as a baby
and did very well. Under the state licencing, there was a toddler, and
then three or four older kids in the woman's home. She had a nursery
and age-appropriate play room for the kids. She was great with the
kids, and my daughter thrived.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky