Old September 29th 07, 08:18 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets,misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids
betsy

Default Problem bottle feeding one of the twins

On Sep 28, 1:28 pm, wrote:
Unfortunately,
Hannah doesn't take to the tandem nursing very well either

Does this seem to be because the milk comes out too fast during tandem
nursing? If so, one option might be to latch on the other baby first,
wait until after the fastest part of the first letdown is done, then
switch the first baby to the other side and latch Hannah on to the
first side. Later in the nursing session switching sides again would
be an option. Since this would change the foremilk/hind milk ratio
each would receive, you would want to pay attention to how this
affects their dispositions and growth.

Another thing that might help would be to work on finding a tandem
nursing postion that keeps Hannah more upright. As they grow in the
next weeks, tandem nursing is likely to get a lot easier.

and until
they can self latch and hold my wife literally needs an extra hand to
do it.

It is really hard when they are still at the point where it takes her
full concentration and effort just to keep one latched on. Very good
propping can help but it can be difficult to even get the second one
latched on without loosing the first one's latch. A good tandem
nursing pillow can be especially helpful when they are so small.

Bottling one, nursing the other and then pumping doesn't
really buy her any more time so I guess we'll have to make the
decision on going to formula or not. She's just putting so much
pressure on herself to keep them on breastmilk only...

Despite the fact that it has been a while since their births, they are
still at a stage where nursing them together is a challenge. Does
your wife have any local support from other women who have nursed
twins and made it through the difficult early stages? If not, your
local La Leche League leader might be able to put you in touch with
some.

--Betsy