Old May 13th 08, 08:16 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Sarah Vaughan

Default Irrational Day

lu-lu wrote:
[...]
I know I sound impatient, but I just don't feel pregnant. Given as I had 4
miscarriages before I had Jessica, I'm pretty scared as it is. All I want is
to at least know when I will get my scan, as I can't class myself as
pregnant until I've seen it there on the screen. The midwife that was meant
to call me back today knew about the miscarriages etc, and still can't see
why I'm scared.

Lucy, have you considered changing midwives? I say this not because the
initial form didn't get through or because the midwife didn't have a
chance to do one on a busy day - these things happen however good a
practice is (and the first could easily not have been the fault of the
midwives' practice anyway). I say it because the impression I'm getting
is that this midwife isn't particularly sympathetic to the fact that
this is a big stressor for you. Maybe I'm reading that completely
wrong, in which case ignore me. But... if a scan form had been lost for
a patient of mine and then I didn't have time to redo it on the day it
came to light, I'd at least have the grace to sound apologetic. If it
was someone who had particular reason to be stressed or upset, then I'd
acknowledge that this was particularly hard for them, and sympathise.
If your midwife can't even manage to do that, is she going to be the
kind of person you want to deal with if you then have problems later in
the pregnancy, or even have a lot of questions you want to ask?

(BTW, what the heck is this 'few days' business? A scan form takes two
minutes to write out! I know it's possible to have a day that's so
horrendously busy you can't even make that amount of time, but a few
days like that in a row? If it's really important to get a form done,
I'll come in five minutes earlier or stay five minutes later or squeeze
that five minutes in *somewhere* the next day if I can't manage it the
first day.)

I do hope all's well and that they buck up soon.

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell