Old February 10th 07, 05:59 PM posted to alt.child-support
Relayer

Default child support and personal injury

On Feb 10, 9:43�am, Werebat wrote:
Relayer wrote:
On Feb 9, 10:05?pm, "Dusty Steenbock" wrote:

"John Meyer" wrote in message

m...

Gini wrote:

"thano1" u31636@uwe wrote in messagenews:6d90a69967e2d@uwe...

here goes, maybe someone can help. ? My ex and I have jointcustodyof
our
8
yr old. ?My child support payments are 125.00/wk. ?Two years ago I was
injured at work and two serious back surgeries latter, I no longer have
job.
I have continued to pay my support payments and have not fell behind.. ?I
was
recently awarded a fairly large cash settlement, that if invested
properly
might let me be o.k for a little while anyway.....

my question is this, ?can the courts touch my cash award to pay child
support.

==
Yes.
==

I am looking to go to court and get the support payments lowered as
125.00/wk
is a lot to someone with no income.

==
BAD plan. Keep quiet and stay out of court.
==

What I'd probably advise is to spend it on as much necessity of life
items as possible. ?Be prepared to go before the judge with a reason why
each and every one of those items are necessary.
Thankfully we aren't in the north, where you'd be required to rat on
yourself. ?Keep it as low key as possible. ?I wouldn't even tell the
kids anything about the situation.

Sometimes I wonder If any government official/ces person prowls these
newsgroups. In case there are any, do you see what we are reduced/forced to
do? Skuling In silence, laying low hopefully our small windfall doesn't come
under scrutiny. Read It slow and closely. Do you understand? We CANNOT pay
these outragous amounts. Reduce them to a realistic amount(IE 50% shared of
what It costs to raise a child) and we can afford It better. Oh, and one
more thing. Just because I get a raise In pay doesn't magically make It more
costly to raise a child. I'll stop now before i rant a books worth.- Hide quoted text -

Dusty, the theory behind that is the lifestyle the child would of
enjoyed has the marriage not broken up....

Then why force the man to pay 90% of full CS when mother and father both
share equal time with the child? *In that situation the child will enjoy
all of the money at one house or another, so why the transfer of funds?

* * - Ron * ^*^- Hide quoted text -

Ron, as an example, in my state, there is no "shared" custody per se.
One has physical custody and one does not. They both might have
"joint" custody but it's the "physical" part that counts. As an
example, I have joint custody of my kids, but they do not live with
me. Anyway, my kids spend around 30% of their overall time with me and
my CS is thhe exact same as if they spent 0% of their time or 90% of
their time. As long as the other has physical custody, I pay. That's
the law.