Old July 18th 03, 03:44 AM
CBI

Default Infant flat skulls can be avoided: U.S. doctors

"JG" wrote in message
.. .

The AAP apparently believes *all* parents are idiots, and thus
recommends pediatricians treat them as such.

I've seen no examples of this.

Read some of the AAP's "policy statements"
(http://www.aap.org/policy/pprgtoc.cfm); those recommending that
pediatricians "advise" or "counsel" parents *never* state "when
appropriate" (or words to that effect), let alone "IF asked for
guidance." I guess the AAP doesn't believe pediatricians should (are
competent to?) discern which parents need what "advice."

In general the AAP assumes that neither the parent nor the pediatrician are
omnicient.

Do you get ****ed off when you see an exit sign and you already knew

where
the exits are?

Of course not. Exit signs provide information ...... I can do with any

piece
of information what I want, i.e., either ignore it or use it in some

way.......
... Now, when a pediatrician says, "Be careful with sharp lawn mower
blades; Buffy and Biff could get hurt if they're nearby while you're
mowing," he/she is dispensing more than information (that mower blades
are sharp)--he/she is giving advice. If I wanted/needed advice about
how to be "careful with sharp lawn mower blades," I'd *ask*

1) I think you are splitting hairs between giving information and giving
advice. It is nonsense to say that it would be OK to inform you of the
hazzards of lawnmower use but not to admonish you to be cautious of them.

2) When you go to the doc you are, in effect, asking for his advice (like it
or not).

Why do you think that some of those idiots don't own guns? Or do you

think
that nothing should be said to them?

Say something to them IF they solicit your advice/opinion

But the idiot is the one least likely to do so. You are setting up a
catch-22.

(though why
they'd ask a pediatrician, rather than someone who sells devices
[lockboxes, gun locks] intended to reduce accidental gun
injuries/deaths, or even the police, is beyond me).

The pediatrician is an expert (or should be). The gun dealer is a saleman.
The stated policies of the police largely agree with the AAP.

While your concern
for your patients' welfare is understandable, it's really NONE of your
business whether there are guns in their homes.

Concern for the wellfare of the patient is the business of the doctor.
Whether there are guns in the house (and ths issues such as storage and
supervision that stem from the question) affects that welfare.

Do you ask if they have
a bathtub and, if the answer is "yes," *automatically* (invariably)
proceed to advise them on drowning prevention?

I routinely discuss drowning prevention. Part of the discussion mentions
short unsupervised periods and shallow water such as is found in bathtubs.

You can't have it both ways. If you
admit that there are some fools at them then there is nothing wrong

with
issuing advice to them.

And just how, Chris, do you identify, with TOTAL accuracy, the "idiot
parents"?

You can't - that is my point.

Making assumptions about a parent's intelligence/level of "common sense"
is risky, but the answer is certainly not to treat *every* parent
condescendingly, as if he/she is an idiot in need of nannying.

Only an insecure person would feel that they are being treated like an
idiot.

--
CBI, MD