Old July 14th 03, 08:47 PM
LaVonne Carlson

Default Scots call for electronic monitoring of 8yo-excess crime

billy f wrote:

Why not just spanked their defiant little asses.

How do you know these children had not been spanked? I didn't see anything in
the article below indicating anything about spanking?

I laugh every I read a
story like this. When are these so call experts going to wake up a realize
that these kids need discipline and tough love.

I laugh every time I read a post from someone who associates disciplinary
problems with lack of spanking, especially when responding to an article that
gave no reason for drawing that conclusion.

I cry when I read posts from individuals that have such limited understanding
of parenting that they cannot imagine discipline and tough love without
spanking.

Hopefully one day the will
see that kids who are brought up in a loving, but firm home are far less
likely to be repeated offenders

Children who are hit and hurt in the name of discipline are far more likely to
be first and second juvenile offenders than are children who are raised in
loving but firm homes. Thank you for making my point, billy.

. Parents all over the world are laughing
with me on this because they know that their children do not have these kind
of problems and know the reasons why. There is obviously more to than
spanking, but spanking does play a role.

If there is a role, you have failed to provide the link. You rail about lack
of spanking regarding the youth in Scotland, yet there is nothing in the post
indicating anything about spanking. You advocate a firm and loving home, as we
all do, and then you assume that firm and loving homes must include spanking.

Children need firm and loving homes. Children do not need to be hit and hurt
in the name of discipline. One can have a firm and loving home without
spanking. If you cannot imagine firmness without hitting a child, please learn
something about parenting. If you think hitting is love, please learn
something. It's hard to find a child in the juvenile system that hasn't been
spanked! Wonder why that is?

LaVonne

"Fern5827" wrote in message
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=33257

Wednesday, June 25, 2003

------

------
YOUR PAPERS, PLEASE .
8-year-olds face electronic tagging
High-tech monitoring proposed
for out-of-control pre-teens

------
5:00 p.m. Eastern

------
© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com
In an effort to crack down on an epidemic of youth crime, Scotland is
considering a proposal to electronically tag repeat offenders, possibly as
young as eight years old, the daily Scotsman reported.

Complaints about youth crime and anti-social behavior have been

overwhelming,
says Margaret Curran, the Scottish Executive minister for communities.

Margaret Curran (photo: The Scotsman)

"We need to do what has to be done," she said. "If that's tough then

that's
tough. We are not helping these young people at all if we don't try to

deal
with their behavior."

Under the proposal, parents who fail to help impose tagging orders on

their
out-of-control children will face fines and even jail, the Scotsman said.

In an interview on BBC Scotland's Politics Show, Curran said no specific

age
would be stated in a consultation paper the Executive will submit on the

issue.

However, when asked if children as young as 8 would be tagged, she

replied:
"Some people might say that we should. Some people might say there should

be a
higher age limit. I will take a view when we see the evidence."

The Scotsman reported Curran had confirmed 10 was the lowest age for

tagging
being considered.

England and Wales already have tagged 4,000 pre-teens since 2001 with a

device
that sends a signal to a transmitter in the offender's home and relays it

to a
central control. Similar monitoring has been done in the U.S. for more

than a
decade.

For the past year, Scottish courts have had the option of electronic

tagging as
an alternative to prison but only for adult offenders.

Statistics from the Scottish Executive show a 34 percent increase in

breaches
of the peace by juveniles since 1991.

"You get people coming in at 16 or 17 who are almost beyond redemption,
hardened criminals," Curran told the Scottish newspaper. "Or having

engaged in
enough behavior to feel as if they're in a 'them and us' situation. We

want to
introduce them to behavior modification at an earlier age."

Civil libertarians and child advocacy groups are wary of the proposal,

however,
and some child psychologists insist the tags would become a "badge of

honor"
for rebellious youth.

"What tagging does to kids is give them status," said Jack Boyle, who has
worked with older youths who have been tagged. "The only peers anti-social

kids
have are other anti-social kids."

He added though, he understands the "government has to do something about

this
minority who wreak havoc and misery."

"Tagging can have a short-term effect," he said. "It might keep them from
committing a crime, keep them away from certain areas or keep them in the
house."

The Scottish National Party's justice spokeswoman, Nicola Sturgeon, said
legislators must "ensure tagging is not a cheap alternative to solving
anti-social behavior."

"Children need to change by having their offending addressed, and they

must
have the opportunity to do so instead of all cases resulting in electronic
tagging," she said, according to the Scottish Daily Record newspaper.

------