Old July 25th 04, 05:17 AM
Tina

Default Indoor toddler climbing eqpmnt recs pls

"Cheryl S." wrote in message ...
My ten month old is a climber. Looking ahead, I think it's going to be
a loooong winter cooped up with a 14-20 month old unless I get some
stuff to keep him very physically active indoors. I'd like to put it on
his birthday wish list so I'm looking now. Any recommendations for some
suitable toys/climbing equipment? Thanks!

Hi Cheryl!

Lana's a climber, too. Isn't it funny how early this is apparent? I
thought Sage did her fair share of climbing things, but she was
nothing like Lana. In our case, I have to seriously limit the amount
of climbing she does -- indoors or out -- because of her bleeding
disorder (can't really hit her head often ; )), but I did sign her up
for a toddler gymnastics class that was very helpful. They had
classes for 12-24 months, and 24-36 months, and she got to do balance
beams, hula hoops, tunnels, mats and trampolines, etc... It diluted
the need to climb for awhile, and also, I think, made her
coordination better so that I don't worry quite so much when she
climbs.

Any of those pieces of equiptment could be modified to fit in just
about any space, and I could detail the games and setups, too, when
winter gets closer -- we can brainstorm ways to tire them out while
we're buried in snow.

Last week we were at the Step2 store, and they had some things that I
think could work inside -- depending on the height of the ceiling in
the room you're talking about. I'm thinking of a little firetruck
thing that doesn't have moving wheels, but is more of a boy-oriented
(sorry, not PC, both my girls want this thing, though) playset to
counter the kitchen stuff. I don't think the main intention is for
strictly climbing, but it's definitely climbable (guess how I
know!?!), and it has other interesting things, too -- steering wheel,
little place to stand and pretend you're the firefighter on the back
part, etc... I don't remeber how much it cost, but I can get you a
catalog next time we're out there (don't know if you have that store
up there).

Ikea does seem to have some neat climbable things, but from what I
recall, they're all furniture first, more for a calm child on a rainy
day, not strictly playthings -- but it might be worth a look. We got
our new catalog today but my mom borrowed it, so I can't look now.

Magic Cabin always has those benches with a post across the top --
could be used for some climbing as well as many other kinds of play.

I'll post more if I think of anything.

Good Luck -- get your first aid kit ready!

Tina.