Old May 29th 07, 06:35 AM posted to alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids
Akuvikate

Default Trouble potty training

On May 26, 12:40 pm, wrote:

He will urinate in public restrooms and in our toilet 99% of the time.
In the last three months however, we have only been able to get him to
poop in the toilet twice. He will have a daytime accident about every
7 to 10 days. The rest of the time he seems to be on some strange
internal clock where he only will go at night in his sleep every other
day. We have tried high fiber diets, laxatives, etc. The only thing
that manages to accomplish is that he is VERY messy the next day and
needs a very thorough cleaning in the morning. He says he is not
afraid of the toilet, and that he wants to do it. He tells he will
start using the potty, and that he will quit having accidents.

I'm going to join the chorus of people saying to get him checked by
the doctor. Even with regular stools you can still have constipation,
if it's either small hard stools that aren't fully clearing out the
rectum or if it's liquid feces leaking past an impacted ball of
stool. The latter (encopresis) is not uncommon in kids with emotional
issues. They hold onto their poop until they get a hard impacted ball
of stool and eventually start getting involuntary leakage of stool
around it. It can look like diarrhea because the leakage is liquid,
but really it's constipation and stool withholding. They often no
longer sense the need to go because the rectum has gotten distended
and loose from being overfull. It usually needs somewhat close
medical follow-up until the child is "cleaned out", as you can't
really make any progress or start a bowel regimen until then. Pooping
in sleep is highly unusual in a kid this age and makes me more
suspicious of encopresis.

But no one can make that diagnosis over the internet. He needs to see
his doctor specifically about the pooping issue.

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel (a pediatrician)
and the Bug, almost 4 years old