Old September 20th 05, 10:32 PM
Todd Gastaldo

JOYBELLE SQUATTED! COOL!

See the very end of this post.

"Circe" wrote in message
news:nxZXe.24213$sx2.19533@fed1read02...
"Todd Gastaldo" wrote in message
Barbara's (Circe's) phrase "true CPD caused by the hydrocephalus" is
meaningless when the obstetrician has the mother semisitting or dorsal -
closing the birth canal the "extra" up 30%.

Todd, I beg to differ. Hydrocephalus *can* result in a head circumference
that will not fit through any pelvis regardless of the mother's position
during pushing.

Joybelle quoted Barbara (Circe) back without correcting Barbara's
inference...

....so I repeat what I wrote in my reply to Barbara (Circe)...

I did not say hydrocephalus could NOT result in a head circumference that
will not fit through any pelvis regardless of the mother's position during
pushing.

I said: "Barbara's (Circe's) phrase 'true CPD caused by the hydrocephalus'
is meaningless when the obstetrician has the mother semisitting or dorsal -
closing the birth canal the 'extra' up 30%."

I stand by that statement in the context of the discussion - three
physicians saying a vaginal birth would be OK in Joybelle's case.

[I thank Barbara] though for making the point that if the hydrocephalus is
even too
big for a birth canal opened the "extra" up to 30% - then true cephalopelvic
disproportion has occurred.

Unfortunately, obstetricians still close birth canals the "extra" up to 30%
even as they warn women about cephalopelvic disproportion - even when babies
are suspected of hydrocephalus and a vaginal birth is to be attempted.

See Is this child abuse? - was Babies and 'CPD' - for new readers (and
chiros)

Since Joy has had all of her babies unmedicated and has

had
three home births, I know she knows that she can push in any position she
likes.

New readers: There are no guarantees just because one births at home with a
homebirth midwife that one is going to be allowed and encouraged to open
one's birth canal the "extra" up to 30%.

Again see: Is this child abuse? - was Babies and 'CPD' - for new
readers (and chiros)

That does not eliminate the possibility that her baby's
hydrocephalus
could progress to a point where the head would be too large to deliver
vaginally. Fortunately, it sounds like that is not the case!

Again I thank Barbara (Circe) for making the point that if the hydrocephalus
is even too
big for a birth canal opened the "extra" up to 30% - then true cephalopelvic
disproportion has occurred.

Joybelle replied:

Barbara,
I agree with you. The did say if the hydrocephalus was severe enough,
they'd definitely recommend a c-section due to CPD. It certainly makes sense
to me. I also think one of the doctors said something about if the hydro
was severe enough, and I tried a vaginal birth, I could be risking brain
damage to the baby. Wouldn't want to do that. Sounds like that isn't a
risk with this baby, though.

Yep. That's why I stand by my statement in response to Barbara. See above.

Joybelle, it is good that you are posting all of this to usenet. Assuming
the Google usenet archive stays up and running, years from now women you
don't even know will benefit from your having dealt with this.

Also, I wanted to clarify I've had only two homebirths. My first was in the
hospital and was medicated. And, yes, Todd, I am aware of pushing in the
optimal positions! My pelvis had plenty of room to birth my last two as I
was squatting in my living room.

COOL! I think this coming birth will go just fine.

As always, my public service announcement:

New readers: Joybelle squatted - many women squat - but you do NOT have to
squat to allow your birth canal to open the "extra" up to 30% at delivery.

Kneeling, hands-and-knees, knee-chest (lowering your chest to the bed from
hands-and-knees), crouching on one knee, standing, side-lying - there are
LOTS of birth positions that allow the birth canal to open the "extra" up to
30%.

Todd