Old December 20th 05, 02:01 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Poll: Birth Control

Amy wrote:
CY wrote:
Me too - so far I love it, though the insertion of it was VERY painful for
me and i cramped for a day or two afterwards. Still I like not having to
think about bc.

Excellent lead-in to my next question...

Those of you with IUDs, how bad did the insertion hurt? Like, on a
scale of one to ten, ten being labor?

Well, it helps a lot if you can relax. They insert a speculum, then
plumb your uterus (to figure out how far to poke the darned thing in),
then insert the IUD.

The insertion itself was uncomfortable, but no more than that. I could
talk through most of it, with a couple of "ouch ouch ouch". It also
helped that I had a student midwife to talk to, which distracted me.
Then I had mild menstrual-like cramps for a couple of days afterward,
with a bit of spotting. Nothing that ibuprophin couldn't take care of.

For me, it was no more than 2-3. Uncomfortable and that's all, and
nowhere NEAR like labor pains, unless you mean those REALLY early labor
pains that don't hurt much, and you can just talk right through...

Cathy Weeks