Old November 13th 03, 01:17 PM
Sophie

Default Pedicures/Calf Massage...total no-no?

"Denise" wrote in message

"Zucca4" wrote in message
My lamaze teacher/labor nurse advised no calf massage at all during
pregnancy...something about the blood being heavier during pregnancy and
collecting in the lower body and massage unearthing a clot that could

travel to
the lungs and.....you know the rest. I ran it by my doctor and he

absolutley
agreed. I was a bit surprised as no one advised against this during the
beginning of my pregnancy
(now in week 38) and I had a ton of pedicures with very deep

accupressure
to my
calves. My doctor even went so far as to say that during a Charley

Horse
or
leg cramp not to massage the calf which is so instinctive for me. He

said
it
could be dangerous and I should just flex my foot or stand up.

I'm kind of annoyed it wasn't mentioned earlier on.

Anyway, thought I 'd share.

Lisa

That's silly and there's absolutly no truth that I can find in medical
studies to even suggest anything like that. As a matter of fact, all I

can
find are sites that endorse pregnancy message, including the calves and
thighs.

Well my pedicure before I had Lewis felt *fabulous* and I'd totally
recommend it to any pregnant woman.
I've never heard of such a thing before.