Old July 9th 03, 04:31 AM
Ruth Shear

Default Nursing while sleeping

G'day

I wrote:

A great LC came out to see us and one of the
first things she did was make me lie on my side and DS lie on his side
facing me with my nipple lined up with his forehead.

Phoebe & Allyson wrote:

That sounds like I had her much too high up, then. (I think
I usually have her too high up on that side, even when we're
sitting up.) y

The original positioning with him so low compared to my nipple (he was
less than a week old) was I think for her to show me that he *could* do
a perfect latch and that our problems were not due to any physical
problem with him or me, but just we hadn't got it right together yet.
With him lying so far below my breast he just angled his head way back
and sort of squirmed up to my nipple.

When she showed me how to latch him myself later on, she did show me to
position his head not mouth lined up with nipple but I think more like
nose to nipple so he would bend his head back and then the bottom jaw
flanges on and the nipple is more towards the roof of the mouth.

It's been almost 20 months now (where did the time go) so I may have
misremembered the details, but hopefully someone else can chime in if
I've screwed anything up too much. I'd try it out with DS now but he's
fast asleep right now.

her little flailing hands will be less likely to smack
my nipple.

Heh. Wait until your little darlings starts twiddling, pinching,
squeezing....

DrRuth
Mum to Joshua Eamon (Nov 15th, 2001)
http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~drruth/joshua/