Old December 21st 04, 12:22 AM
Dusty

Default MI: Local Rally for Father's Rights

Local Rally for Father's Rights

http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp...5&nav=5D7vUKIP
12/17/04- Mid-Michigan fathers rallied at the Capitol,hoping to raise
awareness about joint custody. The fathers say the Michigan system is
unfairly biased against them. The fathers say kids need a dad to be present
in their lives.

According to census data,there are about 20-million single-parent homes in
America, but only 3.3 million of those are single-father homes. So right
now, just 1 of every 6 single-parent families is led by a father. It's a
stat that has some mid-Michigan fathers hoping for the chance to do more.

Fathers came to the Capitol dressed for the holidays, but mindful that for
yet another holiday season-access to their children will be limited.

Darren Binkley: "My children suffer tremendously, because they don't get a
chance to see their father."

Darren Binkley is just 1 of many fathers who'd like to see some changes
made. Binkley says he doesn't get enough access to his kids.

Darren Binkley: "There's no way I can be a father just a few days out of the
month. It's a full-time job."

And since Binkley only gets to be there for part of the time, he feels like
he's missing out in the life of his children.

Darren Binkley: "It's the little things like tucking them in at night and
getting up and taking them to school. If you're not there, how are you
involved?"

And involvement, the fathers say, isn't just important for them, but for
their children as well.

Darren Binkley: "If there's not a father in a child's life, they have a
better chance of ending up on drugs or getting pregnant. If the father is
involved, there's a lot better chance of succeeding in life."

While the fathers are currently fighting from limited access, they still
have hope, and they say it starts by changing the way courts operate.

Darren Binkley: "We need to get the courts out of the lives of our families
where they are micro-managing what happens from day to day."

The fathers also sent State legislators a draft of a law they'd like to see
passed in the next term. They say the potential legislation would put
mothers and fathers on more-equal footing in custody dispute cases. One
local probate judge says mothers and fathers already get equal treatment in
the courtrooms.

While more mothers eventually get custody, Judge R. George Economy says each
case is handled on an individual basis, and that neither the mother nor the
father gets special considerations.

Hon. R. George Economy, Ingham Co. Probate Judge: "What's going to benefit
the children, and I'm not looking at parents, so much as looking at the
child and determining what's in their best interest."

Judge Economy says many factors are considered during any custody dispute.
He says the child's choice is 1 of the most important considerations, but he
also says the court evaluates which parent is better able to give love and
affection, as well as which parent has the means to provide food, clothing
and medical care.

"The most terrifying words in the English language a
I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
--- Ronald Reagan