Old December 14th 07, 12:12 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Penny Gaines[_2_]

Default baby sign language and bilingual kids

Karen wrote:
[snip]
Anyway, we'll see how it goes and whether she shows any interest. I
don't think she has noticed anything different yet. But she has started
to make a funny gesture a couple of days ago (putting the back of her
hand to her mouth and wriggling her fingers while making some sounds),
and I'm still trying to find out whether it's a sign (bored? wants to be
breastfed?) or she's just playing. She's usually complaining a little
while doing it, but she doesn't look at me, so that makes me think it's
not an attempt of communication after all. We'll see :-).

That's how the signs I used with my baby developed: she seemed to be
making certain gestures when she wanted someting, and I used/encouraged
those particular gestures back.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three