Old September 18th 05, 12:20 PM
-L.

Claire Petersky wrote:
My daughter walks or rides her scooter or bike to her elementary school
every day. Because the route goes on a footpath, it's only a quarter mile;
the route by motor vehicle is four times longer. The biggest problem right
now the kids walking is all the other parents who drive. She only has one
street to cross, and of course there's crossing guards, but the parents
still do not seem to respect the pedestrians in the vicinity.

Someone alerted me to this website: http://drivetoschoolhallofshame.com/
that has photographs from a different school, of all the chaos caused by
parents who are driving their kids to school. What is this craziness? WIWAK,
the only time you got a ride from school was when you were sick or
something.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

This is a HUGE problem in our neighborhood. The elementary school is a
couple of blocks from our home. The parents use our street as a
thoroughfare, and they SPEED down the street at 40-45 mph when they are
going to drop off or pick up their children. The city refuses to put
in speed bumps, and says if we can petition 15 people to sign for it,
and PAY FOR IT OURSELVES, we can put one in. I am terribly disturbed
because there are at least 8 children 4 years old and under within a
two-block span of our street. It is just a matter of time before
someone is killed or hurt. I have called the police and asked for
speed traps 4 different times since we have lived here, but it does no
good. I haven't called the school, but that may be my next approach.

-L.