Old September 18th 05, 03:10 PM
Sue

"Louise" wrote in message
Does your school have rules or guidelines for parents who pick up
children by car? Our elementary school used to put a note in the
school newsletter once or twice a year reminding parents that if they
drove to school, they were expected to park in the parking lot and
turn off their engines due to the safety hazards of cars stopping on
the sides of the road and the health hazards of leaving engines
running. They also sometimes had teachers or bossy parents (maybe
they were members of the parent council or something?) knocking on car
windows reminding them to go park in the parking lot. Another measure
which seems to help somewhat include lobbying the municipal government
for a lowered speed limit (and police enforcement) near the school or
near a major school crossing.

We tried all of that at our school and for some reason, adults think that
the rules don't apply to them or they don't even read the newsletter. So the
parent volunteers that organized that committee gave up because the parents
were unwilling to change. It's a shame too because someone's kid is going to
be hit by a car.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)