Old December 5th 07, 12:24 AM posted to misc.kids
Barbara

Default Am I hurting my child by putting her in daycare at 22 months?

On Dec 4, 5:10 pm, Beliavsky wrote:
On Dec 4, 4:38 pm, Banty wrote:

Do wring said relative's neck.

Yes, dissent from progressive orthodoxy must be silenced! Research on
problems with day care should be ignored!

Your daughter will do just fine.

Maybe, but we have no way of knowing that.

Just as we have no way of knowing that YOUR judgmentalism and
devotion to the cult of *intelligence* won't irreparably harm YOUR
kids.

Sadly, we have no idea of the effect of most actions that we take with
our kids. Give your kid candy? Obesity epidemic. Don't let your kid
have candy? I was just talking to someone who described hoarding and
hiding food, resulting in lifetime food issues, because she wasn't
allowed candy as a kid. We all just have to try to do the best that
we can given our own circumstances.

Penelope, with your mom leaving, you're definitely going to need some
help with the kids. A good daycare program, if one is available, can
be an excellent option for you. Given that you have another one at
home, though, there are other options, such as a full time in home
sitter wtih the older child attending a shorter program out of the
home a couple of times a week. Whatever you decide, do your research
and remember to go with your gut -- if it seems like there's a
problem, act immediately. While we can argue the incremental
differences, the simple fact is that most kids who are in a loving
environment -- at home with a parent, with a sitter or in a care
situation -- thrive. OTOH, kids who are not in a loving and
supportive place -- with parents (& I could tell you stories that
would make your hair curl about parents!) or with others tend not to
thrive to the same degree.

Barbara