Old December 2nd 03, 05:37 PM
Banty

Default Man shoots at noisy teenagers, killing one

In article , Cathy Weeks
says...

Banty wrote in message

The best you can argue is that this isn't murder one. This is a good-old
fashioned case of stupidly killing someone in anger. The man who shoots his
wife caught en-flagrante is still a murderer, the gang member who shoots another
banger because 'he was in my face' is still a murderer. Bernie Getz was a
murderer. There really aren't that many murders which are truly cold and
unprovoked. This is like blaming road rage on traffic.

OK. Point taken. BUT, I did fall into my own personal rut when it
comes to assuming he was provoked. I've had too many people turn the
volume *up* when I asked it to be turned down.

Let's say you encountered a real asshole who really cranked it up. Everytime he
saw you. I understand the frustration about that, but do you see shooting
anywhere in that picture?

I'm certainly willing to grant that the situation up to the shooting could have
been very obnoxious. (But I'm not ready to assume it was - I've seen people go
off the deep end both ways about wanting their way exactly.) But deadly action
to solve it is in a different category of a question. That's rather clear-cut.

He coudl have done anything up to kicking his son out of the house if he was old
enough (after all - this wasn't random drag-racing - they were actually guests
of a household member!) to moving from what may have been a bad location for him
to live in. Even if all other channels were exhausted - completely unresponsive
police, unresponsive parents, unresponsive son.

You don't kill people over something like that.

Banty