Old September 7th 08, 05:18 PM posted to misc.kids
Michelle J. Haines

Default school supplies!

Banty wrote:

And how does she think they're copping attitudes "BECAUSE" they're
ex-homeschoolers, if she hadn't been making it clear to all and sundry that
they're ex-homeschoolers. Kids transfer in from all kinds of places and
situations. Why does she think that is at the top of their minds?

Well, first, in the kids first school, in Chugwater, it's a school of 76
kids from kindergarten to 12th grade. Of course they knew where we came
from, they knew us all beforehand.

As for Southeast, several of the teachers knew Katrina beforehand,
because when she would visit my MIL, my MIL would take her to school
with her. (My MIL was the school councillor there.) Most of this
county was either taught by my MIL or related to my FIL or both.

And, tbh, I'm not saying it's specifically BECAUSE we're homeschoolers,
but more because as a result of that, we don't have a big awe of
teachers in general. (Probably being related to a bunch of teachers
helps, too.) The first grade teacher we often had clashes with...You
might remember the "Give out everyone's information with no permission"
argument, Banty?...Even my mother-in-law said she's an extremely
abrasive woman who thinks she could always get her way...it's just with
most parents, she usually gets her way. Thank god she retired.

Issues we have had with Southeast since we've gotten he (I mentioned
the issue with the music teacher earlier)

A teachers aide was was witnessed calling a child stupid for not taking
his coat off fast enough, told our son to stop acting like a baby, and
continually incorrectly corrects children in reading groups...yet when
children or parents comment, are told "Well, you just have to understand
that's how she is."

This whole "parent/school contract" like its the school's business how
we choose to parent the children or that it actually changes their legal
responsibilities. Basically it's a piece of paper that's a platitude to
make someone feel warm fuzzies about themselves that they're Doing
Something (tm).

A library issue, which was actually easily correct: Katrina was bored
in the library, and frustrated with being told she could only read
certain books. My husband went into the school, asked the librarian
what the deal was, and was told that some parents fussed at her because
children brought home "inappropriate" books. He told her that Katrina
was to have free access to the library and if she ever brought home
something inappropriate, we'd deal with it at home. She said, "Well,
that's refreshing." and that worked out just fine.

In a school and state known for it's funding of and handling of special
education issues, it took..um...8 months from our request for an
evaluation to them getting it done. And apparently, even though there's
a 50+ plus gap between our son's highest and lowest IQ scores, and a 4
grade drop from his highest achievement levels to his lowest, because
the lowest were JUST at grade level, well...that's not a problem they
see as a concern or can do anything about.

As for why we switched from homeschooling to public schooling despite my
"attitude". Well, partly it was because my oldest daughter and I were
having a lot of struggling over some things, because she often just
didn't want to do things. Now she comes to me and says stuff like, "I
hated it when you made me do Saxon math, but wow, compared to Everyday
math that we have to do in school, I liked Saxon math so much better!"
Part of it was because half the time when she and I would get really
settled into lessons, my pager would go off and there went three hours
of the day. And part of it is because I started school, and if you can
take a paramedic class, an A&P class, and algebra class, and do clinical
hours in five different towns, the closest of which is an hour drive
away (so's the school, btw) and still have time to homeschool...you are
a better woman than I am.

However, my husband did ask me to start homeschooling our youngest again
asap, because he wants her to know how to read before she turns five,
because he plans to have a tussle with the principal about the fact that
the principal will want to redshirt her (cross thread alert again) and
my husband is saying "no way that's gonna work, so if he insists on it,
then we'll just homeschol her until he lets her in and he can put her in
the second grade" Ha.

Michelle
Flutist