Old February 5th 06, 05:03 AM
beccafromlalaland beccafromlalaland is offline
Senior Member

Kane,

You have my apologies I clearly misunderstood your responses.

The current statute for child abuse involves the children being taken away from the parents until said parents complete the required punishment complete parenting classes and prove that they are stable. This can take Months to Years to complete depending on the severity of abuse, and in many cases never happens. During that time children are placed with a suitable family member, foster or group home.

This is understandable in situations of abuse.

I do not believe spanking "is" abuse. I believe it is a misguided attempt at discipline, from loving parents who do not have the tools available to them to use gentle discipline.

If you propose to remove the children from a home, from their loving parents who do not "know" any other/better way of discipline then you are NOT only punishing the Parents, you are punishing the Children.

You can say that a law against spanking will provide the incentive to gain the necessary skills to stop spanking.

That may be true...or people will just find new ways to hide their behavior.
Becca

Momma to two boys

Big Guy 3/02
and