Old September 2nd 03, 06:19 PM
Ellie

Default 30 week update

I know when we were first told it was twins the hospital said that all twins
were routinely delivered as C-section. Then the consultant that we have
turned out to be in favour of vaginal deliveries if the babies were in a
good position - ie. first twin cephalic, so I was just getting used to the
idea of having a vaginal delivery when twin 1 turned into a breech position.
Now I guess it all depends on what position he/she is in in a few weeks time

I am hoping for a natural delivery but the OB seemed to think that twin 1
was less likely to turn round now because of being obstructed by twin 2.

At least she's approachable and easy to talk to, in the UK you don't get the
same choice of consultant as I think you do in the US, you basically get who
you are given and can change after a lot of fuss and objections, so I think
we've been quite lucky really.

Ellie

"H Schinske" wrote in message

I don't know your feelings on c-sections but I gave birth to my twins
naturally,

I would have much preferred it as well, but *first* twin breech is a very
different proposition from *second* twin breech. The way it was explained

to me
is that if the first baby is breech and the other vertex or sideways,

there is
a risk of the heads locking together. (Double breech is theoretically

okay, but
then you need an OB who's comfortable with breech births generally, which

rules
out a lot of OB's in the US.)

Second twin breech is the least difficult of breech deliveries, because

the
cervix is all dilated from the first twin. In any case, once the first

baby is
out you often get the second baby moving around and needing to be

repositioned
-- the expression used to me was "once the first baby is out, all bets are

off"
on the other baby's position. So an obstetrician who couldn't deliver a

breech
second twin would have no business undertaking ANY vaginal twins at all,

even
ones who were originally vertex/vertex.

--Helen