Old May 16th 04, 05:29 AM
toto

Default Just a few Toddler + Baby questions

On Sat, 15 May 2004 22:37:51 -0500, "Tori M."
wrote:

Hi everyone. I have posted before and I recognize a few names from other
groups that I go to. Anyway I have a question about how to make my daughter
less jealous of the baby when I have it in October. Right now I can not
even hold the cat while she is awake because she will pull the cat off me
and climb onto my lap instead. I dont understand this behavior at all and I
would like to minimize it before Oct. I am considering breastfeeding so it
would be hard to feed the baby without holding it. I have big boobs and all
but they are not removable. Any thoughts you all have on this would be
great. Bonnie will be 31 months when the baby is born.

Books. Read books about babies and about being the Big Sister.

The New Baby at Your House by Joanna Cole
Ooonga Boonga by Frieda Wishinsky
How Do I Feel About Our New Baby? by Jen Green
Shirley's Wonderful Baby, by Valiska Gregory
I'm a Big Sister by Joanna Cole
Hello Baby! by Lizzy Rockwell
What to Expect When the New Baby Comes Home by Heidi Murkoff
Our New Baby (All Aboard Book) by Wendy Cheyette Lewison
There's A Brand-new Baby At Our House And...i'm The Big Sister! :
by Susan Ligon

Does she have a doll baby? If not get one for her to care for.

When the new baby does come home, involve her in caring for it.
Let her get the diaper when you are going to change the baby.
Let her cuddle with you when you nurse or if that doesn't work
have some special toys that only come out when you are nursing
(playdough works well for some children - set up a small table
and chair near where you will be nursing and give her the special
toys you have).

Make sure that when you do bring the baby home, she gets a lot
of attention too. People who bring gifts for that baby can bring
small gifts for her as well (or you can have a stash of inexpensive
toys you can give her when people are cooing over the baby).
Let dad and others hold the new baby. The new baby won't mind
and you can cuddle your older girl when they are holding the baby.

Get and read Siblings without Rivalry by Adele Faber and Elaine
Mazlish for more tips with the kids as they get older together.

Good luck!

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits