Old September 28th 03, 12:46 AM
Vicki S

Default "biting" problem with 16m old

my daughter is 16 months old now, and her latch has gone really, really
bad. no matter how i work to get her to open her mouth up wide to latch
on, she closes her teeth onto my nipple and seems to rest her top teeth
in my skin. i was toughing it out but i realized recently that my left
breast actually hurts a little all the time - not just while she's
nursing me but hours and hours later, too. like right now. she last
nursed on the left side at about 5am and it is now 6:30 in the evening.
i can't see any damage on the outside so i fear deep tissue damage.

i asked a couple of lll leaders at this month's meeting and they didn't
have any advice for me. on the other hand, back when i asked them
nursing only hurt some of the time. now it seems to be uncomfortable
(at least) almost every time i nurse. perhaps this is because the
breast damage is cumulative?

i am wondering if i should stop nursing off the left side completely
until it feels healed. only, i figure then i'll be stuck playing a back
and forth game till she weans! (right side for a month, left side for a
month, then right side for a month again.) this is the only solution i
can think of. (weaning her is not an option i want to consider.) can
anyone else think of another idea i should try?

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995