Old October 2nd 03, 01:50 PM
Vicki S

Default "biting" problem with 16m old

"CY" wrote:
Since nobody seems t have responded to your email I'll jump in!

Thank you so much for responding! I was starting to wonder if news had
eaten this post and no one had seen it. I thought I should maybe try
reposting. The problem hasn't gotten better in the meantime,
unfortunately.

I had a similar problem when DD's teeth first came in and I tried
(unsuccessfully) to use a nipple shield. It might work for you? Are you
using Lansinoh? Do you have any lumps or anything like that - perhaps it's
mastitis and not connected to the latch?

I have read about nipple shields so many times here, and I thought about
using them, but truthfully I haven't the slightest idea where to find
them! I have my doubts about my little girl being willing to nurse with
them on, but if they are cheaper than an LC, it'd probably be worth a
try. As for Lansinoh, I hadn't thought of that, but it isn't my skin
that hurts, its the tissue underneath. Isn't Lansinoh really just a
high quality moisturizer? It really doesn't seem like it would help.
As for mastitis, this doesn't feel anything like the flu - which is how
I always hear mastitis described. I'm fine, except that my nipples hurt
- mostly while my daughter is nursing. And her latch definitely stinks.
I can see the teeth marks when she's done!

Another thing you might try (and I know it sounds wierd) is latching
her on so her teeth are on the other side of your nipple.

Oh no! I don't think it sounds weird at all! I've already put her in
the football hold once since thsi started, so she'd stress a different
side of the nipple. It worked ok, but I almost always nurse her to get
her to fall asleep (we co-sleep), so it isn't *at*all* convenient to do
this most of the time.

The only other thing I can suggest is to contact an IBCLC ...

Yeah, maybe I should do that. I mean, she's really harming me, but
nonetheless I really don't want to wean her. I remember that the local
hospital had a really nice nurse who helped me a lot with nursing stuff
after DD's older brother was born there. (DD was born at home). I
think the nurse was an IBCLC. I know she was in charge of their
lactation office. If shields don't work, maybe she can help.

Thanks again!

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995