Old April 4th 06, 12:43 AM posted to alt.parenting.spanking

Default Teachers do get assaulted

Ron wrote:
"Carlson LaVonne" wrote in message

I don't think anyone who is opposed to paddling minors has said that
teachers don't get assaulted by students in high school, or that paddling a
student wouldn't provoke a "fight."

Teachers ARE assaulted by highschool students, and of course the kids end up
in a court room.

Will a paddling in highschool provoke an assault on a teacher? Lets look at
that, just for the same of the educationally limited.

1. Teachers do not paddle students. Administrative staff do, i.e. a
Principal. And then only after consultation with the Childs parents.

You are not only grossly misinformed, but you didn't read my post. Here
is what I said:

"The problem is with the law in this country that allows students to be
paddled by teachers and school administrators...."

Wo we agree on this. However, if you look at the laws in Texas, you
will find that Texas administrators and teachers can paddle without
parental consent. It is good to have facts, don't you think?

2. Now, do kids in highschool get paddled in school? Not in any school I
have ever heard of, not even parochial schools. My own children have
attended both public and parochial school over the years, and in all cases
the policy of the schools is that there can be no corporal punishment in any
form. Not even with the permission of the childs parent.

Your experience is only your experience. You have not experienced laws
in every state. You need information.

The problem is with the law in this country that allows students to be
paddled by teachers and school administrators. And that unfair law is on
the side of the teachers and the school administrators.

How is this "unfair"?

The law is unfair because corporal punishment of anyone over the age of
18 is considered cruel and usual by federal law, and is legal assault
and battery for anyone over the age of 18, for any reason other than a
life threatening circumstance that could not be resolved another way.
Laws exempt children from protection from the very acts that are
considered physical assault and battery if the child is over the age of
18. That is what is unfair.

Work to change the law, and provide the same protection for individuals
under the age of 18 from physical assault that every legal adult in the
USA enjoys.

It's not a matter of whether paddling a high school student would provoke
a fight. Paddling a high school student is legal in many states --
physical retaliation is assault. So, the student suffers twice. Let's
make things fair.

OK, lets give a 9mm pistol to every person who enters the school. Of course
we are going to have to teach them how to use them, so lets start with
mandatory weapons safety classes in kindergarten. Don't want anyone getting
accidentally shot now do we? This way EVERYONE is on equal footing,
everyone can both defend themselves from unwanted assaults as well as
initiate those assaults against those they know are also equally armed, as
is everyone around them.

Now, what is the point of this? A smoke screen, perhaps? We are not
talking about equal access, we are talking about equal protection under
the law. Can you understand the difference?

Is this not equality? Equal rights, no matter what the age? After all, it
would only take a single years national budget to issue a gun to every
single citizen out there, and then we would have not only a 100% armed
citizenry, we would also have the worlds most polite society.

Good grief. Your debate is ridiculous. And, there are probably gun
lobbiests that would agee with you.

This has nothing to do with exempting children from physical assault and
battery laws. And hitting a child is physical assault and battery, the
same as it is for you or me. The only difference is that we have legal
protection -- three year olds do not.

LaVonne

Ron

LaVonne

fistoffury wrote:

Somebody would have to be living in a vacuum to think that
teachers never get assaulted by students in highschool. We all hear
stories about that kind of stuff in the news or read about it in the
papers, or we might even know somebody who has direct experience with
it. So therefore, whats to say that in schools that paddle highschool
students, that the teachers wont get assaulted when they try to paddle
the students? If teachers do get assaulted, and we know very well that
they do, than common sense would say that if anything, a paddling would
provoke an assault against the paddling teacher. Much the same way that
shoving or hitting somebody would provoke a fight.