Old January 26th 05, 01:25 PM
Iuil

"Hillary Israeli" wrote

They will have to provide such a practicioner? What, they are mandated to
pull one out of their butt or something?? Seriously, I can't imagine. I
can see refusing surgical delivery, and seeking other care - but I don't
understand how the hospital can be forced to provide a type of
practicioner who may or may not be on staff at that facility!

That's the situation in the UK where hospitals have "catchment areas" and
you tend to attend the hospital in whose area you live. The NICE guidelines
state that breech birth is a variation of normal, therefore it's within
every woman's right to insist on a vaginal breech birth and it's up to the
hospital to provide a midwife or doctor who is competent in assisting at a
breech birth. If there isn't such a person employed by the local NHS trust,
then the onus is on them to hire someone externally on a case-by-case basis.

Jean