Old May 11th 04, 06:17 PM
Dagny

Default Pain

"Shannon" wrote in message
news:2004051112485411272%shannonNOSPAM@sdf1net...
I was reading the very long thread regarding unassisted childbirth and
pain and it got me thinking....

When people say that the pain becomes unbearable, what do they mean
exactly? At what point do you know the pain is unbearable?

I had one unmedicated birth and the pain was never even close to unbearable.
That's because the pain was incredibly intense at the peak of a contraction
towards the end of dilation, but peaks pass in a matter of seconds, and
between contractions, there's no pain. It's not pain just driving at you
the whole labor. It goes away in between ctx. If you have having ctx back
to back, it's probably almost over anyway. I never had those.

I think unbearable means you are not listening to your body and surrendering
to the process, or you have an extremely rough labor like back labor for
hours and hours, that you can't seem to remedy. This can happen even in
prepared people I would think if they have a precipitous labor or a baby
stubbornly stuck in a bad position. Most people don't have this.

Does the pain become unbearable for the mother (ie. you pass out)?
Or does it become unbearable for the baby (ie. they become stressed)?
Or both?

Has anyone experienced a birth that was unmedicated and you went past
the point where you could have an epidural and it became unbearable?

No.