Old August 6th 05, 11:45 PM
Doug

I had written:

While foster care populations are decreasing in many Florida counties,
foster homes remain horrendously overcrowded in that state. The same is
true, to greater or lesser degree, in all other 49 states. To get this
population down to a number the pool of state carers can manage safely
would require drastic reduction. A lot of children need to be allowed to
go home to their families. And a lot more children from unsubstantiated
families who stand at risk of being removed because CPS needs a stick to
force uneeded services need to stay at home.

To which, Ron responds:

Thats right doug, send them home to their families, where the chances or
additional abuse, neglect, or even death are vastly higher. Lets face it
doug, what is needed is more foster homes, not sending the kids home to be
abused or neglected again, or even killed.

Hi, Ron,

We both know that there are some children who are abused by their parents
and have to be removed. I said nothing about sending these children home to
be reabused.

As you can see above in the quotation to which you reply, I was talking
about children who were removed from homes CPS itself unsubstantiated for
abuse/neglect or even the risk of abuse/neglect. 96,000 "non-victims" were
removed from families CPS unsubstantiated in 2002.

Since CPS itself found no evidence to suspect that these children were
abused/neglected/at risk of abuse/at risk of neglect in the first place,
letting them go home would not be subjecting them to additional
abuse/neglect.

I was talking about unsubstantiated children who now stand at risk of being
removed because CPS needs a stick to hold over their parents. I was talking
about children who have been placed in state custody because workers who
threatened parents they deemed innocent of abuse/neglect to take services
and ended up having to use the stick. I was talking about children who were
removed from their homes because their parents didn't "cooperate" the way
workers wanted them to.

Those children -- all of them -- should be allowed to go home to their
families. Now. Mostly because CPS determined they were never abused or at
risk of abuse in their homes. And because they are now at increased risk of
abuse in state custody.