Old March 5th 04, 03:41 AM
Chotii

Default formula fed, 9 month old baby girl refuses bottle. Low weight gain

"Jan Andrea" wrote in message
"ur" wrote in message
om...
formula. Occasionally she spits. We tried mixing flavours like
vanilla, chocolate, strawberry.

This smells like troll to me -- do people really put
vanilla/chocolate/strawberry flavorings into formula?!?

Actually, yes, people *do* this. Particularly it might be common outside the
US (the hotmail address does not tell us from what country the OP is posting
from).

It's true, the breastfeeding newsgroup is not the best place for answers.
However, let me say this much:

Zantac does not appear to function as an appetite-increasing medication.
Does the doctor think the baby is suffering from silent reflux, leading to a
refusal to eat? To simply increase hunger, the OP might want to ask his
doctor about Periactin (an antihistamine sometimes used in cases of
anorexia). There may be other medications similarly suitable.

If the baby wants solids, there are plenty of high-calorie solids that are
appropriate for a baby of this age. Small bits of bread can be dipped in
olive oil (unless avoiding wheat) or buttered. Soft ripe avocado. Full-fat
yogurt. Small bits of cheese. Of course solids should not be the main
source of nutrition for a baby this age, and if *I* were the OP I would
press the doctor for a better battery of tests. This weight gain seems very
slow and without knowing the parents and the baby's body type, it seems
cause for some concern.

Baby should also be encouraged to have sips of liquid from (sippy cup,
grown-up cup with assistance, plastic medication syringe, spoon, whatever
baby is willing to drink liquids from) in order to help avoid dehydration.

--angela