Old July 16th 06, 02:07 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Catherine Woodgold

Default my baby refuses to eat solids

Chookie ) writes:
(*) It is amazing how little is known about BM nutrients. We can't say that
it is proven that BM has all the necessary nutrients, because quite a lot of
them have never been studied!

On the contrary. The fact that there have been a few people
aged 15 months or 5 years who were alive and had consumed
only breastmilk proves that bm can contain all the nutrients
necessary for life. As far as I've heard, people consuming
only breastmilk tend to be healthy and not to show symptoms
of deficiency -- provided the mother is in good health and
consuming nutritious food.

I disagree with you about iron. Just to show the complexities
that can happen: people noticed that pregnant women tend to
have smaller red blood cells, and that if they take iron
supplements during pregnancy then the red blood cells increase
to normal non-pregnant size. So, they recommended that pregnant
women take iron supplements. Leter, it was discovered that the
larger (normal-sized) red blood cells don't easily fit through the
tiny blood vessels of the placenta, and that the babies had
smaller average birth weight. So they went back to not
recommending iron supplements during normal pregnancy if there
are no iron-deficiency symptoms.