Old March 30th 05, 04:45 PM
Cathy Kearns

"Jeff" wrote in message
.net...

"Mandy Anderson" wrote in message
I'm furious with my neighbors who seem to think the streets in our
subdivision are for playing. Several women who have nothing better to do
petitioned the county to put speed bumps in to slow cars down, yet the
speed limit of 25 mph is still fast enough to kill or injure a child.
I teach my children to stay in the yard, and
would never trust thier lives to some speed limit sign or speed bump.

No one would. However, speed bumps do make it safer for kids. So I am in
favor.

The advantage of speed bumps is they tend to deter cut through traffic, so
not only will the traffic be slower, but there will be less of it. This
means less cars for the children to vacate the street for. Downside of speed
bumps is the noise cars make going over them. Neighbors of speed bumps
often are not happy with the increased noise levels, the bump of cars
carries late at night and might wake folks used to sleeping in very quiet
neighborhoods. Neighbors need to get together with the traffic engineer to
come up with solutions that make everyone happy. There are other traffic
calming measures that can slow and deter traffic without adding to the noise
level if that is the concern.

We
teach them that the road is for cars and the yard where cars can't go is
for playing.

No problem here.

On quiet residential streets, I see know reason why kids should not play
games on the street that they cannot play in their yard, like street

hockey.
And I see no problem with kids taking a game of tag or whatever to the
street so they can go from one yard to another, as long as they stop when
cars come.

There are many activities such as biking, scootering, skating that work well
on quiet streets. Encouraging unstructured activities such as these that
are also good exercise will increase the children's life span in the long
run. These are skills they can take into adulthood, and lead to healthy
lives.