Old July 10th 03, 09:32 PM
P. G. Chavez

Default Too late to correct a bad latch?

ted wrote:

When is it too late to correct a bad latch? My 4 mo old dd doesn't
nurse like she means it. She's a snacker and she's not interested in
nursing at all. She think it's playing and she looks at me and smiles.
Someone on this group suggested I call IBCLC to see if they can help.
I was wondering if it's already too late and she's established "I
don't like this way of eating" mode.

Thanks.

Based on your previous posts, could she be suffering from nipple
confusion? As in: bottle nipple preference? I seem to remember you
give her lots of bottles, and she only nurses during the night. Could
be she wants the easier bottle, so rejects your breast....when she has
the energy to. At night, it's easier for her to give up the protesting
and just nurse.

If this sounds like it could be what's happening, someone here or an
IBCLC could definitely help you out with a plan to get her fully back on
the breast.

Good luck,
-Patty, mom to Corinne [Mar-98] and Nathan [May-00]
and stepmom to Victoria [Apr-90]