Old July 4th 04, 07:53 PM
Kevin Karplus

Default Learning to keyboard (type) - recommend software for older kids

In article , toto wrote:
On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 20:04:47 EDT, Clisby
wrote:

Are there still books available on teaching yourself to type? I would
think that would be just as good as a software program. I taught
myself to type as a teenager (using a typewriter), but I could have used
the same method with a keyboard.

The software works better, imo. And Mavis Beacon has games
to increase the speed for kids as well as the teaching component.

I agree. In addition to the speed games, the software can check the
accuracy of the typing. Also possible (but I don't know if it is
implemented in any commercial software), is to write diagnostics based
on key timing and offer focused exercises to help improve those
motions that are most in need of improvement.

--
Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
Affiliations for identification only.