Old August 29th 06, 12:03 AM posted to misc.kids
Jen

Default 128 students suspended at Ind. school

wrote in message
oups.com...

Banty wrote:
In article .com,
says...

Jen wrote:
"nimue" wrote in message
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060827/..._st/dress_code

128 students suspended at Ind. school
Classrooms were a little less crowded at Morton High School on the
first
day
of classes: 128 students were sent home for wearing the wrong
clothes.

Why not a proper uniform, with a range of things to cover lots of
tastes and
individuality, but not turning it into a fashion show.

Because with a uniform that parents have to go out and buy their kids
an entire new wardrobe just for school? (And if the 'range' is broad
enough to cover a wide enough range, it's no longer a uniform, but a
dress code.)

You've always made that assertion about uniforms - that it costs families
more,
and I never bought it. It's less wear for other clothes, so fewer other
clothes
are needed, and there are opportunities for bulk buying coordinated by
the
school or privately, hand-me-downs within famlies, and a used uniform
market as
well.

My kid's clothes STILL rarely wear out before they are outgrown. (And
if her school was to suddenly switch to uniforms (or semi--uniforms --
as in, 'blue dress slacks and white shirts'), I WOULD have to go out
and buy her at least 5 new outfits for school. (By contrast, I bought
her 3 new pairs of slacks and a couple of shirts for school this year.
She could still wear most of her clothes from last year.) She sure
can't wear her clothes (at least not her shirts -- teens tend to sweat
... ) more than once without laundering, and it's really inefficient of
water to have to do 'mini loads' every couple of days -- necessary if
she was to try and get by with only a couple of uniforms.

Why mini loads? Do you wash hers separately to yours and everyone elses?
I don't understand. I find I need to do a full load almost every day, and I
know other people who do even more.

Jen