Old August 29th 06, 12:49 AM posted to misc.kids
nimue

Default 128 students suspended at Ind. school

wrote:
nimue wrote:

Teenagers want to be able to express themselves through their
clothing. I have no problem with that. I don't want to squash
their individuality. I don't want to control every aspect of their
lives. I just want them IN CLASS. Let them have their high school
fun; the real world will come along soon enough.

School IS the real world. It is the job of 14-18 year olds.

Not all jobs require professional dress, you know. I agree that school is
the job of 14-18 year olds. However, I don't think that they should be made
to dress like office workers while they are teenagers. I am a 38 year old
school teacher and I have come to this conclusion after years of teaching
high school kids.

And of course they can express their individuality through clothing.
THere are score of options that they can wear that meet the dress
code. Now, if their 'individuality' requires that they go to school
3/4's naked, or dressed in gang-wear, perhaps their career goals lean
towards exotic dancer or drug dealer ... and neither of those
requires a high school diploma.

The problem with the dress code is that kids in perfectly respectable
outfits are sent home. In fact, it's usually the girls who are sent home,
at least in my school. I have argued with deans that tell me that a young
girl in a tank top and a jean skirt that stops just above the knee should be
sent home because she is violating dress code. I tell them it's hot; we
have no air conditioning, and this kid is going to miss her first period
English exam. It makes me sick.

Naomi

--
nimue

"As an unwavering Republican, I have quite naturally burned more books
than I have read." Betty Bowers

English is our friend. We don't have to fight it.
Oprah