Old August 29th 06, 01:03 AM posted to misc.kids
nimue

Default 128 students suspended at Ind. school

wrote:
Jeff wrote:
"Banty" wrote in message

Depends on the dress code. But even if they code requires black
shoes, they can choose the brand and style, to suit their needs.
Same things with ties and shirts. And not all dress codes are
strick. Apparently, the dress code that the OP referenced just
required that certain areas of the body be covered and nothing
offensive be on the clothing. And, that teens keep their cell phones
off (that's not part of the dress, however - but there were problems
with this, as well).

Right. The dress code sounds very similar to the one at our local
schools. Which includes: no offensive/drug related slogans on shirts;

Fine, but what is offensive? Is a "Question Authority" t-shirt offensive?
What about one with an anarchy symbol?

skirts and shorts have to be longer than the tips of the fingers held
at the sides; girls can wear sleeveless shirts if the straps are
(IIRC) at least two fingers wide and the shirt is cut high enough
under the arms to cover the bra; boys have to have sleeves. (Not
sure why the discrepancy.). No bare midriffs or backs (shirts have to
be long enough to tuck in),

Oh, good lord. That is ridiculous. I, like many women, never wear shirts
you have to tuck in.

and pants have to be high enough to cover
the underwear. Nothing transparent or very low cut.

Define low cut. Then make sure everyone agrees with that definition,
because they don't.

No hats or
bandanas or heavy coats.

Uh, what if it's cold?

(Religious headcoverings are exempt.) No
pajamas. And nothing likely to damage school property. (Cleats on
shoes or hard metal trimmings on clothing.) The code concludes with
something like "If in doubt, don't wear it."

Look, there are some good ideas here, but when you try to enforce this, you
will find that members of the school staff interpret these rules
differently. I guess my main point is I don't want anyone missing class
because her shirt is low cut.

Still plenty of room there for 'individual expression.' Oh, and cell
phones have to be off during school hours.

That sounds reasonable. In NYC, the kids aren't allowed to have cell phones
at all. Last spring, the cops did sweeps in schools and netted hundreds of
cell phones. I thought it was a ridiculous and offensive waste of time.

Jeff

Banty

nimue

"As an unwavering Republican, I have quite naturally burned more books
than I have read." Betty Bowers

English is our friend. We don't have to fight it.
Oprah