Old June 26th 03, 03:42 AM

Default Braces Trauma

In . com,
turtledove typed:
"Joelle" wrote in message
Took the kids for a free initial consult with the orthodontist
today. O my, the trauma and pathos for my 13 year old girl.

Bottom line, they both could use them. But my son, forget it. We
are still working on teeth brushing everyday.

My poor daughter. So self-conscious about her teeth, won't smile
with an open mouth. But she's also self-conscious about braces.
And she plays the flute and has heard it's harder to play with
braces. The thing is, it's not just cosmetic. She has a couple of
permanent teeth that are not coming down and she is either going to
have to have braces, or get them pulled and put in false teeth, or
have spaces in the front of her mouth. Poor girl. What a dilemma.
She cried, she yelled at me that I didn't know anything.

So now she thinks she will have them IF, she can get the clear
brackets, if she can only get the top and if she gets a different
doctor because the one we went to is a jerk (Poor guy is a jerk
because he's the one who delivered the bad news)

Oh let's not talk about the cost. Suffice it to say, I had a little
life-insurance money. Lost half of it because I was advised (and
stupidly followed) to put it ALL in mutual funds. I plan on taking
the kids to Italy for a big trip next year. Between the trip and
braces (for both), I might have a little left over for emergencies.
:-0

Can I just encourage anyone who is married here and is resenting the
checks you make out for life-insurance, to not only stop resenting
it, but go out and buy about twice as much as you have now?...

Joelle
If you want to make God laugh, tell him what you are doing tomorrow
Father Mike

Sigh....braces...yeah, I remember that. Tell her that I had the head
gear and had to wear it for 12 hours a day....and I was 13 when I had
mine.

Her flute playing will be fine. She'll just need some extra practice
to adjust her lips properly, I"m sure that she'll get so used to
having them on, she'll have more problems when she has them taken off.

Give her a big hug, and start stocking up on Motrin now
(ibuprofen)...she's gonna be really uncomfortable every time they get
tightened! But they are so worth it. The head gear was even worth
it. No more overbite and straight teeth!

hugs,
*bri

Headgear? Try the elastic bands. I had not only an overbite, but a cross
bite as well. I had two rubber bands from back molars to front teeth on
each side, and then two from lower left to upper right...in front. Made it
hard to talk. Every time I opened my mouth to speak inevitably one would
come flying off. Talk about EMBARRASSMENT when it was in front of a BOY!!
Glad that it's over. And YES it was worth it!!!

Betsy
--
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with
ketchup.