Old October 14th 06, 03:10 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Banty

Default Trick or Treating Part2

In article , Louise says...

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:25:46 EDT, Banty
wrote:

In article , Rosalie B. says...

"beachpeach" wrote:

As long as there's someone at home for the trick or treaters?

With our little mom-kid family, we always had to figure out a way to get the
trick or treating done but still have me there to hold down the house, so to
speak.

So what have you done?

When one of our neighbours became a single mum, we realized that
collaborative solutions were going to be useful, and then we
discovered that it was actually more fun to supervise a crowd of kids
who liked each other, rather than just ours. We also discovered that,
in our comfort levels, the age for staying home alone handing out
candy was actually higher than the age for trick-or-treating with
peers.

Yes - one way was hooking up with neighbors. When my son was little, I'd make
the rounds very early with him, leaving a bowl of candy for other earlies (who
are only the really young kids with their parents pretty much), then return home
for the bulk of the trick or treaters. I'd have to leave work early for that,
though, and make it up. By time my son was ten, he'd go around with friends,
and in this area I'm comfortable with that. The last couple of years, I let him
go with my cell phone, with an agreement to call every 15 minutes (he did).

Banty