Old February 10th 09, 12:27 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler[_2_]

Default How many uniforms for a kindergartener?

"Welches" wrote in message

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"Donna Metler" wrote:

For those who have/have had children in schools which use uniforms, do
you
have any suggestions on how and what to buy? DD will be required to
actually
wear the full school uniform for parochial school K in the fall (instead
of
the "clothing that adheres to the dress code" that pre-K is allowed),
and
I'm considering going ahead and buying a few pieces at a time, a size
up,
since I KNOW what the uniform policy is and it's unlikely to change (I
think
there would be a rebellion, given the number of hand me down loops and
multi-child families which already exist).

It depends a bit on what's available. I have 4 outfits per season for my
son,
as he's a grub. If DD is neat, you could probably get away with fewer
outfits. If there is a choice of dresses and shirts+shorts, buy a
combination
-- the mothers of little girls I know say their daughters love the
dresses,
but that the shorts allow more freedom of movement for sport.

Don't they have a separate outfit for games?
Debbie

At least here, not in the primary years, probably because the teachers don't
want to deal with supervising/assisting dressing that many children. They
start changing for physical education in intermediate school, which can
start anywhere from 5th-7th grade depending on schools. Which is also about
the time that the kids start to smell pretty awful if they DON'T change.
Little ones just get dirty.

Since DD hates mud and the like, I think we'll start with 5-6 tops, a
jumper, and a couple of skorts/shorts for the fall (it's still very, very
hot here in the fall, so most schools don't require the "Fall uniform" until
about 2 months into the school year) and a few pairs of slacks and a logo
sweatshirt or two for the winter. She should be able to get by with the
short sleeved shirts under a sweatshirt (and I've seen lower grade parents
layer a turtleneck under the school shirt and leggings under skorts or
jumpers, which apparently is acceptable, although it makes the kids look
kind of strange. In a public school, if we had kids coming in layered that
way, we'd question whether the parents had financial trouble, since they
couldn't dress their child appropriately for the weather. In a private,
uniformed school, that just kind of comes with the uniform .

There is a uniform exchange as kids get bigger, but DD is in size 3s at 4,
and will be entering K at 4 1/2, so it's unlikely there will be much
available for her (I'm guessing that I'll be doing a lot of taking tucks in
waistbands and hemming in the fall). They had to special order her uniform
for rec league cheerleading/dance because they didn't carry sizes below a
youth small. Apparently, most 4 yr olds now run big.

I don't suppose there's any prayer that any of the UK uniform suppliers
would carry the exact plaid DD's school needs (let alone the logo). It looks
like UK uniform stores cost a LOT less than US ones, even counting the
exchange rate.