Old July 6th 10, 07:35 PM
MommyBusyBee MommyBusyBee is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Gowch View Post
Not only is inflicting violence on children just plain wrong, Dr. Murray
Strauss of the University of New Hampshire and California Prof. Mallie
Pashcall have revealed one more reason why it's a bad idea -- it makes kids
stupid.

It's not a brand-new revelation. It's been suggested before. But the two
researchers have presented compelling new evidence that being hit in
childhood suppresses intelligence.

Kids who were spanked have significantly lower IQs than children who were
not. Countries with the highest intelligent levels are countries were
children are not subject to corporal punishment.

Perhaps this explains why so many pro-spanking folks acknowledge they were
hit when they were growing up. They say it made them who they are today,
and they are right. As their contribution to the debate proves -- they were
spanked into moronhood.
What evidence do you have that this is true? Although I don't agree with extreme violence against children, a good smack on the hand or butt isn't going to make your kids stupid. I was disciplined physically (moreso than I would have liked --but oh well) and I obtained my Masters from Ball State in Psychology. Honestly, this is a rash assumption that makes no sense. The only reason I'm against HARSH physical punishment is because it lowers the trust between a child and parent. To top it off -- it hurts.